A brief overview of the Pulmonology Specialized Center
In our specialized center we provide prevention, diagnosis, treatment, assessment and research on disorders of the respiratory tract including tuberculosis. The members of our team also perform lung transplants. In addition, we focus on reducing the probability of transition from acute to chronic stage, along with rationalization of care for patients with chronic diseases of the respiratory tract.
In 2014, 1.714 patients were hospitalized. We treated 1.598 outpatients, performed 1.485 bronchoscopies and provided 1.126 patients with chemotherapy.
Our center comprises two departments - pneumology and phthisiology.
How will your detailed schedule look like? What type of procedures, methods or treatment can you observe? Check what can you see by shadowing every member of the mentoring team.
Is this placement ideal for you?
- Despite though you will observe many diagnostic and examination methods and intensive work with the patients, the pulmonology specialty is also a surgical one. Within the morning doctor´s rounds you will visit the center's ICU where are hospitalized our patients in severe conditions. You can see the specialty is truly wide, one day it will teach you how to work with laboratory or x-ray results, other day you meet many patients and next day you might be standing in the operating room. The specialty is the best one for you, if you wish to experience as many aspects of doctor's work as possible.
- You will appreciate pulmonology mainly once considering your career as a future doctor, the job tasks are connected to the medical specialty. We cooperate with many other departments in the hospital, our patients prior or after lung transplant do the physical therapy under the supervision of experienced professionals. We have a special sleep laboratory and cooperate with chest surgeons and oncologists mainly.
Let's take a closer look at the specialties…
The Pulmunology Specialized Center is concerned with diagnostics, treatment, evaluation and research of diseases of the lower respiratory tract with emphasis onto intensive pneumological care, interventional bronchology, comprehensive care for patients with COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease), treatment of patients with cystic fibrosis, oncology including biological therapy, sleep medicine, examination of patients prior to lung transplantation and also, the treatment of tobacco addiction. In 2014, we treated more than 3.000 patients.
In our department we use the best equipment, such as the ultrasound bronchovideoscope and the department's ICU is also equipped with a modern non-invasive ventilator that can be used during the transport of patients.
Our doctors have contributed to the establishment of a standard protocol for lung transplant procedure and attend international events such as the European Cystic Fibrosis Conference. Our hospital was the first one to treat cystic fibrosis patients with the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR), Kalydeco.
Our center consists of the following specialized outpatient facilities:
- Diseases with bronchial obstruction
- Cystic fibrosis
- Interstitial pulmonary disease
- Treatment of tobacco addiction
- Patients with sleep breathing disorders
Who do we take care of?
In addition to pulmonary treatment and diagnostic procedures such as biopsy of lungs, mediastinoscopy, and we also deal with lung carcinoma (resection surgery, radiotherapy, chemotherapy, biological treatment, and immunotherapy). In very complicated cases that require multidisciplinary involvement we consult with specialists from other departments.
In addition to tuberculosis, we treat patients who suffer from diseases such as bronchial asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, cystic fibrosis, oncology diseases, pneumonia, inflammatory or malignant pleural effusion, incl. empyema, critical stenosis of the trachea and bronchi, pneumothorax, a disease with massive hemoptysis, pulmonary fibrosis in respiratory failure and diagnostic procedures - In addition to regular fibrobronchoscopy with biopsy sampling, we carry out bronchoalveolar lavage, peribronchial biopsy of lymph nodes and bronchoscopic lung biopsy.
We also perform spirometry, body plethysmography, bronchodilator tests and examination of diffusion, as well as an examination of patients prior to their lung transplantation and patients with sleep apnea syndrome.
Our methods and procedures
Our coordinated team performs these procedures within the department:
- Biological treatment of lung cancer patients with ALK-positive breakthrough using the crizotinib medicament;
- Endobronchial ultrasonography (EBUS) allowing puncture mediastinal lymph nodes under ultrasonographic control in real time with immediate cytological evaluation findings using ROSE (Rapid On Site Evaluation).
- The introduction of bronchoscopic lung cryobiopsy, which is a method that, in some cases ,obviates the need for open lung biopsy
How does the usual schedule look like?
- The department is mostly busy during the day shift as the procedures are typically planned. However, you will get familiar with the schedule of your placement week on Monday morning, 25 hours as a minimum are guaranteed weekly.
If you are not sure whether this choice is suitable for you, don't hesitate to contact us. We will discuss your experience and motivation and come up with the best solution for you.