A brief overview about the Gynecology and Obstetrics Specialized Center
Our specialized center focuses on 4 main fields – perinatology, oncogynecology, reproductive medicine, and urogynecology. As the top Gynecology and Obstetrics facility in the Czech Republic, we concentrate on women with the most severe issues within the country.
Yearly, we perform more than 3.000 childbirths and admit more than 10,000 patients. We conduct about 6.100 surgeries and 100.000 examinations every year.
Our center is divided into two departments - Gynecology and Obstetrics. The Gynecology branch consists of 4 departments – Oncogynecology, the Post-Surgical Department, the ICU and the Conservative Department. The Obstetrics branch is divided into 5 departments – the Pre-Childbirth ICU, the Delivery Room, the High-Risk Pregnancy Department, the Department of Puerperium and Neonatology.
Is this specialty placement ideal for you?
- The most beautiful moment in whole medicine is to witness the birth of a child. But there is so much more in Obstetrics and Gynecology you can explore. This placement is run in one of the most prestigious specialized centers in the University Hospital in Motol. As the treatments and procedures carried out on our patients are of a very delicate and intimate character, we expect a high level of maturity, sensibility and responsibility from you.
- If you want to become a doctor or midwife, the best way to learn new skills in the specialty is by shadowing experienced obstetricians and gynecologists with their teams. Apart from the childbirths we deal with oncogynecological conditions of women from the whole country. We cooperate with many other departments that deal with inborn diseases such as Children's Heart Center and Diagnostic and Imaging Methods Specialized Center to examine mothers to be.
Let’s take a closer look at the specialties…
The Obstetrics Department of our center provides high quality care for the most severe conditions that occur during pregnancy, childbirth, and puerperium. A part of this department is the Perinatology Center, which, among other responsibilities, cares for newborns suffering from inborn errors.
The Delivery Room is divided into 5 delivery boxes. Each box is fully equipped for the mother-to-be, her companion and the newborn. That includes modern observation equipment; relaxation aids such as showers, mats and gymnastic balls; heated beds for newborns and more. The delivery room also includes an OR in case of acute conditions that might occur during childbirth. We always do our best to help bond the mother and the newborn as soon as possible by attaching the baby to the mother’s breast.
Anesthesiologists also work in the delivery room, mainly administering epidural analgesia. We require agreement of the mother for each step of the procedure. We respect each mother's privacy, and therefore watching any childbirth requires approval of the mother-to-be. Our obstetricians, midwives and neonatologists are available 24/7.
We have 2 Puerperium Departments in our center, where we take care of new mothers directly after childbirth. Patients usually stay here for 72 hours if the childbirth was spontaneous and there were no complications. Others are released according to their condition.
In case of the most severe conditions that endanger the mother-to-be or the fetus, we have the Pre-Childbirth ICU, which has a capacity of 6 beds.
The High-Risk Pregnancy Department is equipped with 24 beds for mothers-to-be whose pregnancies are considered at risk of complications according to previous diagnostics.
When a baby is born, he or she is transported to Neonatology Department. We care for all newborns in all weight categories, and specialize in the care of very immature or critically injured ones. These children are placed in the Neonatology ICU. Our department has access to the services of all pediatric departments, and the laboratory, which is the only one of its kind in the Czech Republic, runs 24/7. Therefore, newborns with inborn disorders from across the entire country are hospitalized here. Childbirth is usually planned in our hospital. We are proud that our center has been recognized as a Baby-Friendly Hospital by the WHO and UNICEF.
The Gynecology Department is focused mainly on oncologic gynecology. We cooperate with the EORTC center, and are particularly proud of the standard-setting measures and procedures that we have established in the field of oncogynecology. The top quality of our workplace is represented by our European accreditation and the regular invitations our specialists receive to give speeches to international congresses. Our department provides complex diagnostics and treatment of all types of malignant gynecological tumors. Thanks to our modern methods and equipment, we are better able to sustain women's fertility.
The Conservative Department is equipped with 19 beds. Here, we perform minor surgical interventions, provide treatment for inflammation and imminent miscarriage and check for signs of ectopic pregnancy.
In the Intensive Care Unit, we take care of patients coming directly from the OR. We have 12 fully equipped beds at our disposal.
Finally, there is the Post-Surgical Department, where hospitalized patients are transferred immediately after surgery.
We also provide Outpatient Services, which includes the following departments:
- General outpatient department
- Endoscopy outpatient department
- Oncogynecology and colposcopy outpatient department
- Urogynecology outpatient department
- Center for reproductive medicine and reproductive genetics
- Department of ultrasound diagnostics and fetal medicine
- Outpatient department for breast disease
- Internal consultant examination department
- Gynecology outpatient department for children and teenagers
- Prenatal advisory department
Who do we take care of?
The members of our team perform all procedures from the fields of urogynecology, senology (breast disorders), and oncogynecology. We take care of pregnant women who have diabetes, underwent surgery in their childhood or had oncology or hematology treatment at a young age. Furthermore, we provide care for pregnant women who have suffered from a miscarriage or whose fetus has been diagnosed with an inborn disease.
In our center we provide comprehensive care in oncogynecology, female infertility via assisted reproduction, prenatal genetic diagnostics, fetal medicine and diagnosis and treatment of high-risk pregnancy and childbirth. We also take care of women with urinary incontinence or tumors of the mammary glands. We would like to stress the continuity of our care towards our patients, who often visit us for their whole lives.
Our methods and procedures
Recently, we have added these modern procedures to our service:
- Perioperative detection and extirpation of sentinel lymph nodes as an alternative to inguinal lymphadenectomy during the therapy for carcinoma of the vulva. This significantly decreases the morbidity in patients.
- Sentinel lymph node detection into the treatment of carcinoma of the cervix. This method is less radical and decreases the magnitude of the surgery and post-operative morbidity. This is used mainly to treat lymphedemas of the lower limbs, incontinence disorders and impaired bladder emptying.
- Fertility algorithm for use in the treatment of young women suffering from carcinoma of the cervix. This allows them to retain their fertility after the treatment.
How does the usual schedule look like?
- The amount of time spent in the hospital will differ depending on your and your mentors' shifts. Apart from day shifts, which generally start around 11 o'clock, you might also stay with the mentors for the night shift. During the night shift, you will work in the obstetrics portion of the center. You are guaranteed to spend at least 25 hours in the hospital every week.