A brief overview od the Cardiovascular Surgery Specialized Center
At the center of cardiovascular surgery, we provide comprehensive care across the whole range of our specializations: cardiac surgery and vascular surgery. We ensure 24-hour surgical service for all emergencies of the cardiovascular system, including traumas.
Yearly, we provide outpatient care to more than 4.000 patients and we carry out around 1.000 major surgeries. Half of these surgeries are cardiac procedures and half are vascular interventions. The number of such procedures increases each year.
We closely cooperate with the Specialized Center of Surgery, Anesthesiology, Radiology and ICM, as well as our Specialized Center of Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine, since recovery after surgery can be lengthy.
How will your detailed schedule look like? What kind of surgeries, procedures, methods or treatment can you observe? Check what can you see by shadowing every member of the mentoring team.
Is this specialty placement ideal for you?
- As this surgical placement allows you to be in close contact with the patients, before, during and after their cardiac surgery, you need to be determined to pursue this specialty and ready to withstand all the demanding aspects of our work. You will stand side-by-side with our skilled cardiovascular surgery team members and observe every single detail they perform within their job - how our patients are prepared for surgeries, what kind of procedures and methods we use and what kind of post-operative care is required in particular cases.
- This placement suits perfectly to those of you, who desire to understand the comprehensiveness of cardiovascular surgery and for all students, who are still uncertain about their desired healthcare profession. Among our mentors are doctors, nurses, as well as, healthcare assistants. This way, you can get a complete picture of the work in our center with all its trimmings, where each member of the team is irreplaceable.
Let's take a closer look at the specialties…
Cardiosurgery is a specialty targeting a wide range of pathologies. As part of the treatments provided, we use various types of surgeries and approaches, according to the specific procedure. Vascular surgery is a branch of medicine focused on veins and arteries. The vascular issues we deal with include arterial occlusive disease, aneurysmal disease and blockages in the bloodstream.
We perform ischemic heart disease surgery (aortocoronary bypass), including complete arterial revascularization and operations without extracorporeal blood circulation, as well as the whole range of acquired defects of valves surgeries with emphasis on restorative operations (plastic surgery) of the mitral and aortal valves. We further focus on allotransplantation of human valves into the aortal position, especially in cases of infectious endocarditis (we performed the first operation of this kind in the Czech Republic in 1994). We provide surgical treatment in cases of heart failure, thoracic aorta diseases (including implantation of stent grafts), congenital heart defects in adult patients and atrial fibrillation (MAZE). We also offer the complete range of vascular surgeries, including treatment for aneurysms of the abdominal aorta, treatment for peripheral artery diseases and dialytic approaches.
Our team has performed a total of 40 extracorporeal membrane oxygenations (ECMO) on patients from our department, the 3rd Department of Surgery, the Specialized Center of Anaesthesiology, Resuscitation and ICM. Within the transplantation programs, 31 lung transplants have been performed via extracorporeal circulation. We have collaborated on four heart transplants in patients with congenital heart disease at the Children's Heart Center.
The department includes an Intensive Care Unit (ICU), Intermediate Care Unit and two standard units. We use two modern operating rooms in the central complex, and we share a septic operating room with the Specialized Center of Orthopedics and the Specialized Center of Surgery. Our patients can be hospitalized in the 12-bed ICU, as well as in the intermediate and standard units, which have a flexible number of beds.
In cooperation with our Specialized Center of Surgery we have performed an ex-vivo lung reconditioning using extracorporeal circulation. This new method will save more lives, as it keeps the out-of-body lungs usable.
Our center includes the following specialized outpatient facilities:
- Cardiac surgery
- Vascular diseases
- Congenital heart defects in adults
- Arrhythmology after surgical treatment for atrial fibrillation
- Child vascular diseases
- Treatment of ischaemic defects of the lower extremities
- Clinic for patients after surgical treatment of infective endocarditis
Our cardiology and vascular diseases outpatient facilities are in daily operation with the constant presence of cardiologist and surgeon, not only for consultative purposes, but also for indications, preoperative preparation and postoperative patient checks.
Who do we take care of?
In our department, we examine patients suspected of having any heart problems. Our patients also come to us for post-surgical and other medical check-ups.
We perform acute and elective cardiac operations across the spectrum of the specialty (except for heart transplantation) by using both on-pump and off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting. We also treat aortic aneurysms (thoracic and abdominal) and aneurysms of large vessels, including dissecting aneurysms of the ascending and descending aorta. With the exception of heart transplants, we provide a full range of treatments in the field of cardiovascular surgery.
Our methods and procedures
Our coordinated team performs these procedures within the department:
- Video-assisted mini-invasive surgery of the mitral valve
- Mini-invasive surgery of the aortic valve, using valve prosthesis without stitches
- Video-assisted mini-invasive surgery of some congenital cardiac defects (e.g. defect of the atrial septum)
- Comprehensive care for adult patients with congenital heart disease
- Surgical treatment of infectious endocarditis, including the treatment of drug addicts in cooperation with the Department of Infectious Diseases of the MUH
- Hybrid mini-invasive solution for polymorbid patients with ICHS (PCI – stent + MIDCAB – bypass via a minithoracotomy without extracorporeal circulation)
- Mechanical cardiac and lung supports – EMCO
- Reconstructive (sparing) surgeries of the aortic valve
- Revascularization of the myocardium without using extracorporeal circulation
How does the usual schedule look like?
- Work in our specialized center varies and it includes a lot of direct contact with the patients. If you are interested and confident, you can expand your schedule and stay for both the day and the night shift. We guarantee you will be in your placement at least 25 hours per week.
If you are not sure whether this choice is suitable for you, don’t hesitate to contact us. We will discuss your experience and motivation and come up with the best solution for you.