A brief overview of the Otorhinolaryngology for Children Specialized Center
At the Specialized Center of Otorhinolaryngology for Children, we ensure diagnosis and conservative treatment of the ENT diseases in children from 0 to 18 years of age. As the leader of the Czech pediatric otorhinolaryngology, we provide care for complicated and complex pediatric cases.
Annually, we provide around 2,000 surgeries and 19,500 outpatient examinations. The number increases per each year.
Our center focuses on super-specialized operations in the areas of cochlear implants or cases of facial cleft defects in new-born patients.
How will your detailed schedule look like? What kind of surgeries, procedures, methods or treatment can you observe? Check what can you see by shadowing every member of the mentoring team.
Is this specialty placement ideal for you?
- This placement is ideal for you if you are interested in a surgical specialty in the pediatric field as shadowing the mentoring team allow you to discover super-specialized surgical methods and procedures as well as the diagnostic ones. Check the daily schedule of your mentoring team to learn about the variety of the described fields.
- This placement is a great opportunity for those of you, who want to become pediatricians one day. If you are interested in the ENT in adult patients, we suggest the option of ENT and Head and Neck Surgery.
- When you are uncertain about your desired profession, but you are interested in this specialty, applying for placement in both sections of the hospital is an ideal solution.
Let's take a closer look at the specialties…
Our center covers a comprehensive spectrum of examination and treatment of diseases in the ENT and head and neck surgery fields. The otorhinolaryngology specialty deals with medical and surgical management and treatment of patients with disorders and diseases of the structures of ear, nose, and throat. The head and neck surgery focus on the areas where our most important senses as smell, sight, and hearing as well as our face are.
Thanks to the top-notch equipment and the interdepartmental cooperation, our team can focus on the development of skills and knowledge base in super-specialties such as the treatment of tumors and congenital defects in the ENT area. We provide the phoniatric and logopedic care during the rehabilitation process as well as the diagnostics of the hearing disorders of newborn babies to older pediatric patients.
In the neonatal patients, we perform plastic surgeries in cases of facial cleft defects. And we focus as well on the sleeping disorders in children. One of the most exciting parts of our work is the super-specialized focus that we can offer to our patients whom colleagues send us from the whole Czech Republic, especially in the difficult cases to diagnose and also in cases of difficult curable diseases.
Our center is accordingly divided into the following sections – Operating Rooms, Inpatient wards where parents can partially accompany their children, ICU, Outpatient wards and Super-specialized centers.
We receive the patients who are candidates for endocrinological surgeries from the whole Czech Republic to the Center of surgical treatment of endocrinological diseases. Among our patients are children as well as adolescent patients and we have reached excellent results worldwide.
BAHA Implants Center is our flagship where patients can undergo a unique application of bone hearing aid during which a part of it is embedded into the skull behind the ear. After the osseointegration, a special external hearing aid can be connected. As a result, it provides significantly better auditory perception for indicated patients than conventional bone hearing aids.
One of the unique departments within our specialized center is the Department of Phoniatrics and super-specialized Center for Cochlear Implants in Children (the only one within the Czech Republic). We select from our patients the candidates for cochlear implants and we work with them intensely during the pre-operative and post-operative care as they require speech therapy and psychological care including rehabilitation.
We perform around 1,000 endoscopies per year in the Endoscopic Center especially in the most difficult cases in the whole country, where we cooperate with our colleagues from the Children's Heart Center, too.
In the specialized outpatient wards the patients come for regular check-ups, to undergo diagnostic methods, and treatment procedures in the following areas:
- Clinical evaluation of candidates for cochlear implants and the follow-up rehabilitation
- Baha implants assessment
- Developmental defects of the neck and the head
- Monitoring of glandular swelling
- Lymphangia and haemangioma of the head and neck
- Diagnostics of extraesophageal reflux disease
- GERD diagnostics
- Plastic surgery
Who do we take care of?
We take care of children from newborns to young people who are 18 years old. Our patients require the treatment of the ear, nose, throat, and head and neck conditions. We cooperate closely with the pediatric Specialized Center of Child Oncology and thanks to the capable and experienced members of our team we are able to treat ENT oncologic diseases in children with setting up standards of care at the European level.
We use the diagnostic and surgical methods in endoscopic examinations of the larynx, tracheobronchial tree, and esophagus. A part of our patients suffers from the congenital defects such as the hypacusia or deformities and malformations of the external ear, ear canal, middle ear and inner ear and other areas. Have a look at the information about our super-specialized centers and methods and procedures.
Our methods and procedures
Among our newest treatment methods and procedures, you can observe, are:
- Double-sided cochlear implants
- The therapy of choanal atresia with the help of BD stent
- Laryngotracheal reconstruction using LT-Mold stents Monnier
- Esophageal pH-impedance measurement
- Application of the BAHA system in clinical practice
- The implementation of a high-frequency tympanometry in routine treatment of the tympanic cavity in the youngest children, where conventional devices show false negative results
- Polysomnography monitoring (PSG)
- A new diagnostic method on the basis of DPOAE – CochleaScan and the use of the bone (BC) module in the technology of the SSEP measurement were introduced. Both methods significantly contribute to refined acoustic diagnostics in youngest children.
- Facial cleft defects program in newborns. The early detection and treatment of secretory otitis symptoms in children with cleft defects.
- Establishment of a multidisciplinary working group for complex surgical and conservative solutions of lymphangiomas and head and neck hemangiomas
- Neolaser has been in use with special ENT applications
And there’s so much more of what you can see!
How does the usual schedule look like?
- You will spend at least 25 hours each week in the hospital, though the hours differ for each student. The specific number of hours depends on your mentors’ shifts and on your approach to the specialty. The hours spent in the hospital will differ daily according to the schedule and length of surgeries and other procedures. Always ask your mentor when and where you should meet him or her for the following day and you can also ask about their itinerary so you are prepared.
If you are not sure whether this choice is suitable for you, don’t hesitate to contact us. We will discuss your experience and motivation and come up with the best solution for you.